Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Looking for a way to make money from home, but don’t want to make an initial investment?
In this Wealthy Affiliate review, I’m going to share with you how to start a money making affiliate marketing website for free.
If you’re new to affiliate marketing or think you’re not too hot with computers, don’t worry – Wealthy Affiliate have you covered and will teach you, step by step, exactly how to make money online with your own affiliate site – from scratch.
And not only that. They’ll show you to turn something you love and are passionate about into a money making affiliate site too.
Anyone has the potential to succeed with their training and you’ll find everyone from work at home mums and students to working professionals and retired folk inside the Wealthy Affiliate community.
This is actually where I first started out and I now earn passive income from my affiliate sites every single month.
So how do you start an affiliate site for free?
By signing up for the Wealthy Affiliate Free Starter Account. This gives you everything you need to start your first affiliate site at absolutely no cost to you. This includes:
- up to 2 free hosted websites for as long as you want
- comprehensive Getting Started training, again with access for as along as you want
Why on earth would Wealthy Affiliate offer this?
Because they know their training works – so they offer a free starter account for people interested in starting an online business, so they can decide (at no cost) if affiliate marketing is for them.
If you think making money with Wealthy Affiliate is an opportunity you want to check out, I recommend diving straight in and setting up a FREE account (no CC required). I think you’ll be amazed at how quickly you can have your first website set up (all you need to do is click a few buttons, Wealthy Affiliate do all the techy suff for you).
If you’re not quite sure though, read on – my full review of the Wealthy Affiliate Program below should arm you with enough balanced information to decide if Wealthy Affiliate is right for you.
My Full Wealthy Affiliate Review
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Ok, so In a nutshell, affiliate marketing is where you:
- choose an interest that you are passionate about
- build a blog or website around this interest
- earn revenue by promoting products from affiliate programs (e.g. Amazon) from within the content of your blog.
And Who Are Wealthy Affiliate?
Wealthy Affiliate is an online training resource that teaches you step-by-step how to create (and grow) a successful online affiliate marketing business, from scratch.
One of the great positives to Wealthy Affiliate is that they offer a FREE $0 Starter Account (no CC required), which shows you the basics of affiliate marketing (and more) for absolutely nothing.
3 Powerful Reasons To Join Wealthy Affiliate’s Free Starter Account
- free access to a comprehensive, in depth, step-by-step Getting Started Training, which shows you how to create your first affiliate marketing website (for as long s you want)
- free access to 2 hosted websites (for as long as you want)
- free 7 day access to a community of thousands of affiliate marketers.
Below, we’ll look in more depth at why this Starter Account can be so valuable if you’re looking to learn how to do affiliate marketing.
So How Does Wealthy Affiliate Work?
Wealthy Affiliate basically offers a comprehensive online training platform, where members can take a range of course modules that teach, step-by-step, how to start an affiliate marketing website and turn it into a sustainable income/online business.
Here’s a 4 step breakdown of the stages you can expect to take, as a beginner, in order to start an affiliate marketing website inside Wealthy Affiliate. You:
- Choose an interest: This is the first (very important!) step. It’s best to pick a topic that you personally have an interest in, as it’s easier to write about, plus it’s likely to be more compelling for your readers. When I started at Wealthy Affiliate I picked the niche topic of water filters (stop yawning!) as I’m pretty passionate about health and clean eating.
- Build a website: I say ‘build’ very loosely, as you can set up a website in a few minutes within Wealthy Affiliate, as they pretty much do it all for you. You literally have to click a few buttons, which you are guided through in a step by step tutorial (you do NOT need to be techy!). You’ll then learn how to create and add quality content to your website that is relevant to your chosen interest.
- Attract visitors: A website without visitors is a website without sales! With the Wealthy Affiliate training you’ll learn how to generate ‘relevant’ targeted visitors to your website. Targeted visitors = sales!
- Make money: Yea, the best bit! As soon as targeted, relevant visitors start landing on your site, it’s only a matter of time before you start making sales and MONEY.
Sounds super simple written as a 4 step list doesn’t it!? (And if you follow the step by step training it is.)
But – in practice the first 3 steps will likely take you a number of weeks to get through, especially if are already working FT, like I was when I started.
If, however, you have the luxury of being able to dedicate more time to the training than just evenings or weekends you have the potential to get everything up and running much quicker.
So if you are looking for a way to earn money immediately, or aren’t great with following a linear process and step-by-step instructions, Wealthy Affiliate is may not be for you and you might want to check out my 57 Ways To Make Extra Money Online (That Don’t Involve Survey Sites) instead.
Can I Get Rich With ‘Just’ The FREE Starter Account?
No, ‘probably’ not. Although people do make money from just joining the starter account.
But, with the FREE $0 Starter Account you do get access to everything you need to lay the foundations for a successful money making online business.
Here’s a screenshot of the training lessons in the FREE Getting Started module inside Wealthy Affiliate:
So There’s a Paid Version of Wealthy Affiliate Too, Right?
Yes, of course. There absolutely is.
The Premium version of Wealthy Affiliate is currently $49 a month and offers you access to loads more online training and information (referred to as Wealthy Affiliate University), which builds on the material in the FREE Starter Account.
- a series of comprehensive modules that build on the Getting Started training
- weekly webinars on all the latest affiliate tips and tricks and online marketing strategies
- up to 50 websites
- free hosting and website backups
- access to 100s of additional training tutorials
- immediate access to affiliate marketing experts
- 365 day support, 24 hours a day
If you decide affiliate marketing is for you, to progress beyond the beginner stage, you’ll most likely want access to the Premium program at some point.
BUT…and here’s the thing:
You ONLY need the FREE $0 Starter Account to get started.
The comparison table below shows you exactly what you get in the FREE program versus the full Premium Paid Version:
A huge percentage of people do indeed go on to sign up for the Premium version of Wealthy Affiliate (myself included) – usually, once they see the quality of the training and the knowledge and success of many of the Wealthy Affiliate community.
The key takeaway?
If you are a beginner, there is MORE than enough material in the FREE $0 Starter Account to lay the really solid foundations of an affiliate marketing website.
This essentially means you have nothing to lose.
I’ll let you in on a secret here as well – I managed a large tourism website before joining Wealthy Affiliate and thought I knew it all when it came to online marketing. (Wrong! I’d barely scraped the surface!)
Feeling like you might want to dip your toes in?
Have I Seen Personal Success at Wealthy Affiliate?
Yes, I have.
I’ve built a number of websites, which generate income on a monthly basis, within the following niches:
- water filters for the home
- football merchandise
- matched betting
- parenting and holistic living
In fact it was courtesy of the FREE training at Wealthy Affiliate, that I created my very first niche blog at bestwaterfiltersforthehome.com. I’ve also created many others since then, including foldingtailgatechairs.com and even one for my Lady Lady at joeythehamster.com!
These sites bring me income every month from affiliate sales. Here’s proof it works with a screenshot from my Amazon sales.
Water filters won’t float everyone’s boat of course!, but the beauty of affiliate marketing is that you get to choose a niche that DOES rock your boat.
Will I Get Rich Overnight?
I’d love to say yes, but affiliate marketing takes work.
But (and here’s the key takeaway) – making money online with Wealthy Affiliate is totally possible. Which is why I rate Wealthy Affiliate so highly. In a nutshell, it works.
Are You Guaranteed Success?
That’s entirely up to you.
Some people get distracted or fail to put the work in. Then wonder why they haven’t earned big bucks in their first month!
But if you follow the training properly at Wealthy Affiliate, stay focused and put the work in, it’s ‘almost’ guaranteed that at ‘some point’ things will start to happen.
Is Wealthy Affiliate All Good?
I don’t think anything’s perfect and Wealthy Affiliate is no different.
Here are some pros and cons of my own personal experience at Wealthy Affiliate:
Pros of Joining Up To Wealthy Affiliate
- FREE Starter Program which teaches you how to start a successful affiliate marketing website, including 2 FREE hosted websites
- Easy to follow step by step training tutorials and videos
- Comprehensive training material that covers beginners to advanced marketeers
- Access to expert affiliate marketers
- Perfect for beginners – be it professionals looking for an alternative income or career, mums or dads looking to make money online from home, retired people or students.
- Absolutely NO need to be super technical or good with computers (anyone can (and does) do this)
- Ethical, legitimate program (10 years old with over 10,000 members)
- 24 hour online chat support for any questions
- Excellent technical support
- Extremely knowledgeable, welcoming and friendly community
Cons of Joining Up To Wealthy Affiliate (with some tips to get around them)
- The level of information can be a bit overwhelming
Tip: this is why there is a dedicated ‘Getting Started’ module. Start and STAY here until you’ve completed it and you can’t go far wrong.
- It’s easy to get disillusioned by people who start making sales before you do
Tip: Don’t! Simply wish them every success, be inspired by the fact this stuff works, then get back to YOUR website.
- It’s easy to waste a lot of time in the community forums
Tip: How much time you spend there is up to you, but don’t get too caught up reading a lot of (often quite irrelevant) stuff which is well meant but not ‘always’ super helpful (in my humble opinion anyway).
- It can be tempting to get distracted by your Wealthy Affiliate ranking
Tip: Don’t worry about your ranking inside Wealthy Affiliate. I can see the purpose of rankings, as it can be motivational when your ranking improves, but don’t obsess over it. In my experience, the people making the money are not always the ones at the top of the rankings. So look for the people who ARE successful and follow, engage and learn from them.
- The Wealthy Affiliate community sometimes feels like a ‘religion’ – Wealthy Affiliate is popular and for good reason, but I found if you question anything about Wealthy Affiliate you can ‘sometimes’ get jumped on like a rash. This is just my opinion, but it can sometimes stifle healthy discussion.
The Real Value of Wealthy Affiliate
With all the successful bloggers out there from Pat Flynn at Smart Passive Income to Darren Rowse at Problogger, you can find out how to set up a blog and make money from it, with affiliate marketing, for free.
But trust me on this (because I’ve been there) – the sheer level of information is overwhelming and often not accessible in a way that is easy to follow from start to finish (I call it hitting the blogging wall).
And this is where the real value of Wealthy Affiliate lies. It removes the overwhelm, which is often a key reason people fail.
My Top 4 Benefits of Joining Up To Wealthy Affiliate
- The organised, step-by-step and straightforward training. This training is invaluable. It saves you a lot of time and removes the overwhelm of trying to work out affiliate marketing on your own.
- The expertise of the founders Kyle and Carson and the huge number of successful experts inside the Wealthy Affiliate community who are willing to actively help you.
- The online forums. Being able to build relationships with other like-minded marketers is hugely beneficial, certainly as a beginner and even as you progress to a more advanced level.
- The live weekly webinars videos. These offer you the opportunity to learn new things in a manageable way, as well as keep up to date with all the latest developments in online marketing.
My Wealthy Affiliate Review – The Bottom Line
Want my Wealthy Affiliate review summarised into one line?
The Wealthy Affiliate FREE Starter Program offers enough training (and everything you need) for a beginner to lay the foundations for a successful affiliate marketing website.
Remember, income won’t come flying in overnight – but it can start to come in come in reasonably quickly if you follow the training and put the work in.
Want to sign up?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign Up for the FREE $0 Starter Account
- Wait for your Welcome Email
- Once it arrives, take a moment to complete your account set-up and profile (literally takes 1 minute). This helps other members get to know you, engage with and help you better.
- Start your training with the Getting Started module.
I hope to see you on the inside!
More Money Making Posts For You
- 57 Ways To Make Extra Money Online in 2017
- 11 Actionable Ways To Make Money Online
- How To Make Money With Matched Betting (UK only)